Saturday 13 November 2021

Falcated Duck, Wilstone Reservoir, 20/01/99

News of a drake Falcated Duck at Tring of unknown origin prompteda flexi-day and my first trip to this famous reserve. After getting rather lost, I found Wilstone Reservoir, a large concrete basin, fringed on one side by reeds. The Falcated Duck had come in with Wigeon a few days earlier. It was quickly located dabbling at the edge of the reedbed. A really smart-looking duck, fully-winged and unringed, it departed the next day, again with Wigeon. The duck was easy to pick up, even at a distance, due to its dark head, pale mantle and dark grey sides. After ten minutes, the heavens opened so I walked to the other end of thr reservoir to the hide, where I found a Little Egret. I could still see the Falcated Duck in the distance. On the way back I picked up a corking, though slightly mad-looking drake Red-crested Pochard. I noted how the black nape extends up the back of the rear-crown. Next, I drove to Milton Keynes for an expedition to the various lakes, ending with Brogborough Lake near Bedford for the gull roost, though nothing of note came in by dark. 

My notebook sketch


No comments:

Post a Comment